I’m going to start a 42 Day Raw Vegan Challenge to challenge myself (I love me a good goal to reach), and to see if I can continue the lowered blood pressure and overall happy life I’ve found. (42 days is 6 weeks, just about).
I will be using Dr. Furhman’s Eat to Live 6-week Plan. I knew about him beforehand, but he’s also the doctor featured in the documentary called “Vegucated”
Here’s the short of it (Notice, I like to the point approaches. haha)
UNLIMITED (eat as much as you want):
- all raw vegetables, including raw carrots (goal: 1 lb. daily)
- cooked green vegetables (goal 1 lb. daily)
- beans, legumes, bean sprouts, or *tofu (minimum 1 cup daily in total of these)
- fresh fruit (at least 4 daily).
- eggplant, mushrooms, peppers, onions, tomato and other non-starchy vegetables, cooked and raw (unlimited)
*Beans should be eaten daily; tofu should be eaten less frequently.
Notice, when it says “goal: 1lb daily” don’t freak out and think you have to eat a pound of raw veg AND a pound of cooked veg. Start by just not limiting yourself, and letting raw vegetables be where you are free! Eat when you’re hungry, but only from this list of foods. Let yourself be happy, buy the fruit and vegetables you like, and try new ones (Like Durian!)
LIMITED (not more than one serving):
- cooked starchy vegetables OR whole grains–Maximum 1 cup per day (butternut or acorn squash, corn, sweet potato, brown rice, cooked carrots, whole grain breads*, whole grain cereals*)
- raw nuts and seeds (1 oz. or 28.5 grams a day) or 2 ounces avocado
- ground flaxseed (1 tablespoon a day)
- soymilk, low-sugar preferred–Maximum 1 cup a day
*avoid breads and cereals as much as possible
When it says “as much as possible” avoid breads, just read that as “Don’t eat bread or cereal” at all. Period. This is a challenge, after all, just skip them. Find something else. Flaxseed and nuts are great. Save them for dinner, (or your favorite meal), and eat raw fruit and vegetables the other meals. My biggest encouragement on how to stick with this, is to STAY BUSY. Find a hobby, get really active at the gym, pour yourself into work. When you’re busy, you don’t have time to realize your hungry and before you know it, a whole day has gone by and you were healthy!
- dairy products
- animal products
- between meal snacks
- fruit juice, dried fruits
- salt, sugar
NUTS and RAW SEEDS, but not ground flax, are optional for obese or overweight persons while they follow this weight loss plan. People who have difficulty losing weight may also eliminate the starchy vegetable/grain.
Well, and here’s the challenging part. No animal products at all. Vegan, remember? For me, I’m trying to lose weight, so I will also be severely limiting the starchy vegetables like potatoes and squash. I will save these as something to eat when I need or want a treat, that way I can feel like I’m rewarding myself, without really going off the plan. Sound ridiculous? Most really awesome things do at first.
Join me! Comment below and tell me about your experience. What recipes have you tried? (I’d love some new ones!) and how are you handling the get togethers with friends/family?